What is Reiki?
As a healing system, Reiki has been used in the West since the late 1930's. It is a gentle, non-intrusive hands-on or hands-off healing technique which uses spiritual energy to treat physical ailments without using massage, pressure or manipulation, however, it is much more than a physical therapy. It is a holistic system for balancing, healing and harmonising all aspects of the person - body, mind, emotions and spirit and in doing so can encourage personal growth and awareness. Being such a gentle treatment it is suitable and beneficial for everyone of all ages and as there is no restriction on how Reiki can be given, it can be adapted to accommodate those of limited mobility.
The Word Reiki
Pronounced RAY KEE
Rei means universal, divine, essence, spirit
Ki means life energy
For easy translation, Reiki means 'Universal life-force energy'.
When we are young, we are able to replenish our energy reserves; as we get older, we use up energy but are unable to replace it with the same ease. The result of this is a lack of energy, which can cause ill health. Working with energy to reverse, or at least mitigate this loss is found in a number of practices. With the practice of Reiki, energy is drawn from the Universe and channelled through the palms of the hands of a fully attuned practitioner to achieve a rebalancing of life force. Being in this state of balance it enables us to find contentment and to sense our connectedness to everything around us.
The connection between our energy and our physical body is made in two ways. The first is through the Aura. The seven auric layers surround the physical body in concentric circles, but they also interpenetrate each other, with the innermost being the densest and the outermost the finest, meaning the vibrational level of the seventh layer surrounds the entire body - and goes through it completely. The second is through special receptors: The Chakras. There are seven main chakras located along a central line stretching from the top of the head to the base of the spine and each has it's own colour, matching that of the aura, starting from the base up.
1. Root - Red 2. Sacral - Orange 3. Solar Plexus - Yellow 4. Heart - Green 5. Throat - Light Blue 6. Brow(third eye) - Indigo 7. Crown - Violet
Each chakra is connected to the respective layer of the aura and the surrounding physical areas of the inner and outer body. The energy, or ki, brought in through the chakras is transported around the body through an enormous number of meridians and nadis, which are like energy arteries and veins. There are 35 meridians conducting energy around the body, the twelve main ones are each related to a specific organ in the body and to the physical and emotional aspects of a person. The nadis are all rooted near the base of the spine, thousands in quantity but with only three main and run throughout the body. As with the chakras, when nadis are blocked, energy becomes stuck and disharmony becomes prevalent within the body.
Reiki can heal!
Working holistically means that I don't just focus on a symptom but take into account cause and effect. I treat the whole person, not just the body. With Reiki, there are four different levels at which healing and wholing are achieved.
- Physical: Anything to do with the body. This might mean eradicating an illness completely, or it could simply mean limiting or alleviating the symptoms for a time.
- Emotional: How we react to and deal with our experiences (both consciously and un-conciously). This could allow you to calm any fears and to reach n acceptance of situations in your life.
- Mental: Our attitudes and thought patterns (decisions, directions and lifestyle choices). This could enable you to think differently about situations, possibly bringing to your attention the lessons your situation is trying to teach you, and promoting understanding of the issues that may have caused it.
- Spiritual: The bigger picture (finding meaning, acceptance and forgiveness). This could enable you to develop a more loving and forgiving relationship with yourself or others around you.
In many cases, the levels are interconnected. A physical problem caused by another physical problem, which then has an impact on the mental wellbeing which then impacts the emotional. For Reiki this means that there is more behind a symptom than meets the eye and recipients need to stay open to the possibility of healing on more than one level.